Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Wonderful Wayback

I extolled the virtues of the Wayback Machine in a recent post on the Worldwide Genealogy blog and expressed disappointment that, as I couldn't remember the URLs of my old websites,  I couldn't see if they were archived in The Internet Archive on the Wayback Machine.

As I was playing around in Rootsweb Mailing Lists this mroning I came across and old post of mine and in the signature was the URL of the website I had at the turn of the century. I entred the URL and to my absoute delight found archived copies of my website. Some of the images haven't saved but I can see the basic structure, plenty of pages and follow some links..

The Internet archive tells me that

Saved 31 times between September 19, 2000 and September 19, 2006."

So let's take a trip down memory lane.

2001

2003

2003
In 2006 I moved the site to a new server at http://users.tpg.com.au/welwel/theballs/ and our page looked like this:


I also had a couple of subsites. There was Jill's Jigsaw.


And there was my first attempt at a Surname page for Currys in Australia. Too Hot to Handle. I have started over again at http://curryaus.wordpress.com.


I  am going to record those old URLs in Evernote in case I want to visit my old sites via The Wayback Machine again.

5 comments:

Crissouli said...

Great to see, glad you found them..just proves that cyber space does exist..and all shall be revealed.

GeniAus said...

I just need to work out how to save them Chris.

Unknown said...

I haven't tried this Jill, but this site offers a service to download a site for a fee - https://www.waybackdownloads.com/ I did some Googling, and quite a few people seem to suggest this as a good option.

It looks like the format of the URLs in the Wayback Machine make it difficult for automated software to navigate and download a site. If I come across anything else I'll let you know.

Jan Murphy said...

I use the Firefox add-on Scrapbook to capture individual pages. It can be set to capture linked pages also, but I haven't had a chance to experiment with it yet. As Derek said, using the deep capture techniques may not work because of the way the Wayback Machine captures things. But if you want to try, search for Scrapbook by Gomita.

GeniAus said...

Thanks Jan and Derek. I'll investigate

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...